Monday, September 30, 2013

Easy Fiction Activity with 1st Grade

Last week I started teaching 1st grade students about the arrangement of our easy fiction section.  Or as I like to remind them, not all of the E Fiction books are easy, but they are short. After brief overview of how the books are arranged, pointing out the guide letters on the shelves, etc. I give out laminated book jackets that I have attached oversized spine labels.  I love these laminated book jackets...but I think I will devote a whole other blog to the many ways I use them.

1st grade students who have alphabetized themselves by their author's last name.

Alphabetical Order
I then hand out the laminated book jackets, have everyone put their finger on the "E" of their call number and then move their finger down to the author's name (or the 3 letters of the author's last name).  If I don't do this they all say their author's last name begins with an "e".  I then ask if anyone's author's name begins with an "a" and have that student come up in line.  We proceed until we make it all the way through the alphabet. I have included at least 2 authors whose last name begin with the same letter.  "Oh my...what do we do when we have 2 words that begin with the same letter?"  There is always at least one student who answers that we go to the second letter.

Proceed to the Shelves
I have them stay in ABC order and follow the leader (me).  I show each student how to use the guide letters to find the shelf where their author's book would be found. This is the first step in helping them become independent library users who can find books they want to read on their own!

No comments:

Post a Comment